HEMANGEOL (propranolol hydrochloride) oral solution 4.28 mg/mL should be initiated in infants aged 5 weeks to 5 months. It is contraindicated in premature infants with corrected age younger than 5 weeks and in infants weighing less than 2 kg. See more important safety information at right. HEMANGEOL is administered through a unique graduated syringe. In order to minimize the risk of hypoglycemia, HEMANGEOL should be given to infants during or right after a feeding. If necessary, HEMANGEOL may be diluted in a small amount of milk or fruit juice in a baby bottle.
- Week 1 – starting dose is 0.15 mL/kg (0.6 mg/kg) twice daily
- Week 2 – increase dose to 0.3 mL/kg (1.1 mg/kg) twice daily
- Week 3 – increase to a maintenance dose of 0.4 mL/kg (1.7 mg/kg) twice daily
- Administer twice daily doses at least 9 hours apart during or after feeding
- Readjust dose for changes in the child’s weight
- Monitor heart rate and blood pressure for 2 hours after the first dose or increasing dose
- Duration of treatment: 6 months
HEMANGEOL is supplied with a unique graduated oral dosing syringe and syringeadapter as a convenience to parents and caregivers.
HEMANGEOL is a pediatric oral solution:
- Alcohol free, sugar free, and paraben free
- Strawberry and vanilla flavor